Saturday, August 22, 2009

Thing 20 Finding and Subscribing to Podcasts

Include in your post the name of at least one podcast to which you subscribed.

I subscribed to some NPR programming shows I like but don't get to listen to much because they air during the day. They include This American Life which is wonderful story telling and Fresh Air which has interviews with a broad range of people, Wait, Wait, don't Tell Me a very funny news and entertainment show, and NPR Technology reports.

Describe your experience using the various search tools.
As someone who is new to podcasting, I found the search tools EPN and PostcastAlley to be a little frustrating and overwhelming. I wished they had a way of ranking by popularity or recommendations so I didn't have to search through, click on the title to get the little description, then actually have to download something to see if it was interesting. A quick preview was all I was really looking for at this point to see if it would be something I'd like to subscribe to. There were so many podcasts to explore (and so little time...).
I liked Postcast Alley, and subscribed to the Storynory podcast and Just One More Book.
Which do you prefer and why?
I'm glad I know about the other search tools now and will probably use them when looking for something very specific to libraries or education, but iTunes was easier and I'm a visual person, so I kind of like to see the pictures. That sounds kind of dumb, like judging a book by it's cover, but I find it appealing. It's more interesting than looking at long lists of titles of podcasts. One of the things Apple does so well is to make it's applications user friendly and visually appealing. It's also convenient to keep all the podcasts in one place.






No comments:

Post a Comment